- Position: Business Development and Marketing Coordinator
- Firm: SmithAmundsen
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: December 7, 2017
- Contact: Sara Kornaus - SmithAmundsen
Support the business development and marketing efforts of the firm with a focus on coordinating key external communications and initiatives including the firm’s social media, proposal submissions, experience lists and award nomination processes. This position will report to the Business Development & Marketing Manager and will work closely with attorneys and the Business Development & Marketing team.
- Work in concert with Business Development and Marketing Manager to organize and prepare RFP responses.
- Provide initial draft of RFP responses, proposals and other client-facing pitch materials.
- Manage department tools and resources, including proposal/pitch templates, practice content, firm information and
archived proposals and pitches.
- Proactively gather deal and case data and update information in the database.
- Prepare news releases.
- Manage directory and awards submissions.
- Conduct research on clients and prospective clients to prepare attorneys for meetings and pitch opportunities.
- Assist the marketing team in general day-to-day activities such as event planning, website and database maintenance, and other projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably emphasizing marketing, business administration, communications or public relations.
- Two or more years of experience in a legal or professional services firm preferred.
- Well-versed in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel; Adobe Creative Suite and InterAction strongly preferred.
- Able to quickly learn basic database management programs.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- High level of creativity, organization and attention to detail.
- Must work well independently and in a team environment, while dealing with frequent deadlines and multiple priorities.
- Position: Business Development and Marketing Manager
- Firm: Sidley Austin LLP
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: November 24, 2017
- Contact: Sidley Austin LLP - Careers
The Business Development and Marketing Manager serves as a liaison to various Litigation practices including Antitrust, IP Litigation and Supreme Court and Appellate. S/he will work directly with the partners in the practices (across various offices worldwide) to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans, and manage an aligned range of business development and marketing initiatives.
Projects may include: securing panel and other appointments through the submission of written proposals/pitches; managing and assisting with the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group (including experience databases); working with the practice leaders to monitor progress against planned priorities; preparing and supervising directory submissions; and improving the profile of the practices and developing strategy for participation in or planning of major events. S/he takes an active role in learning about these and other practices and developing the groups’ and the firm’s internal knowledge about its clients and business in order to foster cross-selling.
S/he will also have managerial and mentoring responsibility for the Business Development and Marketing Coordinator working with the practices.
Strategic Practice and Client Development
- Consults with Practice Area Team (PAT) leaders and key partners on development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the practice and individual lawyers within the PAT.
- Attends and contributes to PAT meetings and planning sessions.
- Tracks and analyzes practice initiatives and how those initiatives impact the practice’s budget and provides evaluation of past initiatives to determine if there is sufficient ROI to repeat those initiatives.
- Evaluates the viability and probability of the development of business prospects and cross-marketing efforts of the practices.
- Manages, develops and refines processes and procedures relating to the practice's business development “infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral; database/matter lists; contact lists; opportunity tracking; etc.). Maintains an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, deal lists, etc. are consistent, error-free, and up to date. Ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources.
- Coordinates with Market Intelligence team to conduct industry and client research to aid in practice development initiatives.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
Proposals and Pitches
- Serves as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches, both for the primary practices and other groups.
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity.
- Writes new business proposals and produces responses to RFIs/ RFPs.
- Serves as advisor in preparing and rehearsing pitch teams.
- Supports follow-up and debrief activities post-pitch and reports them back to firm leaders.
Other Marketing and Profile-raising Activities
- Leads practice area's submission of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information.
- Works with regional marketing programs teams on programs and events.
- Coordinates with communication team on PR opportunities.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of firm lawyers in professional organizations.
- Participates in hiring, managing and developing junior members of their team. Oversees daily operations and reviews staff work.
- Manages professional development of staff goal setting, coaching and training.
- Prepares annual performance appraisals and provides timely feedback on performance.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of professional experience with at least four years of experience in law firms (especially in the practices listed above) and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in financial services industry or other professional services industry.
- A bachelor's degree is required from an accredited four year college or university, preferably in business or similar field. An M.B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities and take initiative to drive projects.
- Exceptional organizational skills for workload.
- Excellent writing, proofreading and critical thinking skills, with sound judgment and the ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Demonstrated PC experience required: MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience and knowledge of the legal litigation landscape, as well as familiarity with databases such as S&P, CapitalIQ, Docket Navigator and other resources, preferred.
- Supervisory, managerial and/or project management experience is preferred.
- The ability to work harmoniously and effectively with others, to work under pressure and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities is preferred.
- Position: Marketing & Business Development Manager - Chicago
- Firm: Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff LLP
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: November 9, 2017
- Contact: Jennifer Scalzi - Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff LLP
The Marketing & Business Development Manager works under the direction of the firm’s Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to support and execute marketing and business development programs and initiatives in the Chicago office. The Marketing & Business Development Manager oversees communication, media and public relations involving the strategic vision of the firm’s public image and its clients, culture and reputation. This position works with attorneys to develop, align and execute strategies and tactics that support existing client relationships and bring new clients and business to the firm.
- Works closely with the Director of Marketing & Communications and Director of Business Development to identify and leverage media opportunities, plan internal messaging to inform and promote cross-selling across the firm.
- Proactively helps identify key strategic PR opportunities reflecting the firm’s core practice areas and industry strengths with direction from the Director of Marketing & Communications.
- Identifies topics for proprietary work to promote firm’s reputation as thought leader and to achieve meaningful media attention. Also works directly with the PR agency and assists in the creation of story ideas.
- Assists in strategy for social media marketing and social networking to support branding and growth efforts. Provides one-on-one social media training to attorneys and contributes to firm wide social media content and posting of content.
- Assists Director of Marketing & Communications with internal and external communications initiatives and online content, including firm website, press releases, newsletters, annual report, recruiting information and client advisories.
- Oversees the coordination of multimedia packages, letters, invitations and brochures for requested assignments.
- Assists Chicago attorneys with InterAction efforts, including mailing lists and keeping client information up to date.
- Supports assigned practice groups as directed by the CMO, by attending meetings and conference calls and providing follow up marketing action.
- Responsible for placement of internet, print or broadcast advertising efforts in the Chicago market.
- Maintains awareness of marketing communication activities in Cleveland, Indianapolis, Delaware and Columbus offices and is directly responsible for the Chicago office.
- Creates and maintains business relationships with key service providers.
- Develops formal office marketing communication plans annually with budget to be established and approved by the CMO.
- Supervises the execution of local firm events, conferences, etc. and makes sure post-event analysis and follow-up including ROI is provided.
- Oversees Chicago business development tickets for client entertainment through Invite Manager.
- Prepares responses to RFP’s and RFI’s and coordinates pitches as directed by the Director of Business Development. This includes strategic approaches, market research, copywriting, editing materials and recommending changes, and working with attorneys and other staff members to execute in a professional and timely manner.
- Oversees pipeline of targets across all practice groups in the Chicago office.
- Supervises and facilitates the identification of market opportunities including new products and services. Also identifies trends, tools and training sessions that could be beneficial to firm’s marketing efforts.
- Supports the firm’s competitive and market intelligence functions, and conducts research as needed.
- Utilizes Business Intelligence database to pull firm, attorney and practice group financial reports, as well as lists of clients in particular industries, for use in strategic planning, pitch preparation, attorney coaching / business development planning and client / prospect conversations.
- Monitors competitor activity and strategy; reports and makes recommendations to senior management.
- Assists with office marketing and collaboration amongst attorneys and practices, including helping lateral hires familiarize other attorneys at the firm with their capabilities.
- Works with the Director of Talent Acquisition & Development to implement internal business development training sessions for attorneys in the Chicago office.
- Participates in the development of new collateral and proposal materials, as well as in experience collection and management.
- Acts as contact person for questions on department communications materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a business or marketing focus, and a minimum of six years of experience in marketing and business development required.
- Prior management experience is preferred.
- Must possess superior presentation and analytical skills, plus demonstrated skills to handle a variety of assignments simultaneously.
- Must possess an excellent customer service attitude.
- Position: Technology Coordinator
- Firm: Michael Best & Friedrich
- Location: Milwaukee, Chicago
- Date posted: October 11, 2017
- Contact: Michael Best & Friedrich - Careers
Job opportunity still active as of November 9, 2017
Michael Best & Friedrich has an opportunity at the Milwaukee or Chicago office for a Technology Coordinator. The Technology Coordinator works closely with the Marketing & Business Development Team and the Firm's Technology Services group to maintain and manage the Firm's Contact Relationship Management System (CRM), website, email distribution software, and other marketing/technology-related duties.
- Manage the Contract Relationship Management (CRM) database.
- Work with team members on the migration to a new CRM system (InterAction moving to Microsoft Dynamics BDP).
- Maintain and develop best practices/data entry standards.
- Research and enter information to supplement current data in CRM system.
- Create requested CRM reports.
- Handle all incoming calls and questions regarding the CRM database.
- Update CRM records as necessary.
- Enter new clients and marketing data from EMI database to CRM database.
- Maintain firm's existing mailing lists.
- Maintain and enhance firm website.
- Provide reporting on SEO and click/view statistics.
- Handle all back-end changes to the website.
- Provide ideas and suggestions for improvements to the website.
- Handle posting of all new marketing promotions to the website, including invitations, client alerts, announcements, etc.
- Handle Vuture (e-mail distribution software) program, including coordination of distribution of mass electronic mailings and reporting statistics.
- Assist with webinar technology as needed.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- At least three years of experience, preferably in a professional services environment.
- Database, Excel, and Work Processing experience.
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Professional client service manner, responsiveness, flexibility, and adaptability and excellent customer service skills.
- Experience in CRM systems and Vuture, preferred.
- Position: Proposals Coordinator
- Firm: Jones Day
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: September 5, 2017
- Contact: Stuart Goodman - Goodman Business Development
Job opportunity still active as of November 21, 2017
Working as part of the global Business Acquisition Unit (part of the global Business Development & Communications department), the Proposals Coordinator supports all aspects of responding to RFPs and creating proposals and pitches, including developing drafts, finalizing the end product, overseeing submission to the client or prospective client, and follow-up to determine the result. Occasional additional hours and/or weekend work may be required.
- Strong organizational, time, and project management skills, and ability to handle many tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Excellent oral communication and business writing/editing skills, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities.
- Strong commitment to teamwork, able to establish effective working relationships across regional, practice, and Firm lines.
- Four-year college degree, with a minimum of three years’ experience in a business and/or professional services environment. Experience in the legal environment preferred.