- Position: Events Coordinator
- Firm: Latham & Watkins LLP
- Location: New York and Chicago
- Date posted: August 15, 2018
- Contact: Latham & Watkins – Careers | New York Events Coordinator Latham & Watkins – Careers | Chicago Events Coordinator
As an Events Coordinator at Latham, you will work as a member of the Business Development department and will be responsible for client events, meetings, and conferences. You will assist in the budgeting, planning, execution of events and preparing post-event reports to evaluate performance/success of events. You will also be responsible for record keeping (such as RSVP and attendance lists), and the management of vendor relationships. The Events Coordinator will also be a regional resource for the firm’s CRM database (InterAction) and is responsible for maintaining local data, responding to user queries regarding data changes and updates and distribution of event invitations.
- Event planning and management – Coordinating all client event logistics including mailing lists, invitations, marketing collaterals, on-site event management.
- Post-event evaluation – Producing post-event analysis, such as final attendance reports, budget summaries and post-event reports to evaluate performance/success of events.
- Working with the global E-Marketing team on CRM data maintenance and invitation design using third-party software.
- Maintaining internal event tracking and reporting.
- Researching venues and preparing summaries of venue availability, costs and capacities and negotiating and managing facility arrangements for room set-up, technical assistance and catering.
- Staying abreast of local company and law firm best practices, market and industry trends, and provides competitor research, in the area of client events.
- Assisting on ad hoc projects when required.
- Promoting effective work practices, working as a team member, and showing respect for co-workers.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- At least three years of experience in event management is required.
- Extensive time using a computer including use of a PC keyboard and mouse or similar data input devices are also required.
- Excellent interpersonal and client services skills.
- The ability to communicate well with all levels of the organization.
- Experience using CRM systems, working in a professional services marketing environment, and managing event budgets is highly preferred.
- Position: Practice Development Assistant
- Firm: Seyfarth Shaw
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: August 9, 2018
- Contact: Deanne Kaider – Seyfarth Shaw LLP
The Practice Development Assistant will assist the Practice Development Directors, Managers and Coordinators in the firm’s Employee Benefits, International and Litigation Departments with the practice management, marketing and business development initiatives by providing the support and coordination necessary for a successful outcome. The Assistant will play an active role in the development and implementation of key initiatives and programs and will be responsible for coordinating the activities of project stakeholders to ensure successful and on-time project execution. Candidate should be a highly motivated self-starter with an attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Coordinate monthly Department and Practice Group meeting schedules, working with IT and office leads to ensure smooth Webex meetings, video conference connections as well as specialized AV needs.
- Support Practice Development team with the execution of Department and Practice Group business plans.
- Assist with all aspects of development and coordination of handout materials and logistics for Department and Practice Group meetings and conferences, client breakfast briefings, and client webinars.
- Assist with development of monthly Department and Practice Group financial reports utilizing Microsoft Excel.
- Assist International Client Service Manager with local counsel invoice processing.
- Assist with the development of internal communications for the Departments, including but not limited to: newsletters, invitation content, surveys, onboarding binders and announcements.
- Manage all aspects of the Department and Practice Group portal pages, including decision-making on content postings.
- Assist with upkeep of experience database to ensure information is current, consistent and reliable.
- Coordinate CLE programs, logistics and communication.
- Support Practice Development team with preparation of league table submissions and reference management.
- Undergraduate degree in business or related field or equivalent job experience.
- One-to-two years of experience in a professional services environment. Law firm experience preferred but not required.
- Superior organizational skills, extreme attention to detail, and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to efficiently plan and manage time while handling projects for multiple supervisors and competing deadlines.
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills needed to follow written and/or oral instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with firm personnel - including management, a diverse group of attorneys, clients and staff. Ability to exude a high level of professionalism, courtesy and diplomacy through in-person, email and telephone communication.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative and independent judgment with excellent troubleshooting and follow-through skills.
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn and is receptive to feedback.
- Regularly demonstrates professionalism, respectful of all colleagues, and ability to be flexible with tasks and requests.
- Position: Part-Time Marketing Assistant
- Firm: SmithAmundsen LLC
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: July 14, 2018
- Contact: Sara Kornaus – SmithAmundsen LLC
SmithAmundsen LLC is seeking a part-time assistant to work closely with other members of the marketing team to achieve marketing and business development goals. The ideal candidate will be a team player and possess outstanding interpersonal skills, a strong work ethic, and willingness to learn. This position will ideally be held by someone working toward a degree in marketing, communication or business or an experienced individual looking to take a step back to part-time work.
- Event assistance including name tag preparation, staffing, and gathering of materials as directed.
- Assemble material and brochure requests.
- Conduct basic research requests.
- PowerPoint and presentation assistance as necessary.
- Update lists, directories, spreadsheets, etc. as necessary.
- Basic data entry and updates to contact management system database.
- Promotional item distribution and inventory.
- Department expense submissions.
- Department calendar and scheduling.
- Work with the hospitality and office services departments to reserve rooms and host meetings.
- Communicate professionally and promptly with attorneys in the firm as well as other departments as directed.
- Maintain a positive presence within the team, office, and at events.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Candidate must be able to quickly learn basic database management programs.
- Demonstrated strong oral communication, writing, and editing skills.
- Must show a high level of creativity, organization, and attention to detail.
- Position: Public Relations Manager (Awards & Recognition)
- Firm: Kirkland & Ellis
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: July 10, 2018
- Contact: Kirkland & Ellis – Careers
We are looking for a seasoned professional to join our growing Communications/PR team within Kirkland’s Business Development/Marketing Department. The Public Relations Manager (Awards & Recognition) will lead the Firm’s global initiatives in connection with legal directories, awards, nominations, surveys and lists published by national, local and trade media organizations such as Chambers & Partners, Law360, The American Lawyer and the Financial Times, and many others.
The PR Manager (Awards & Recognition) will be a key member of the Communications/PR team, as well as a leader and peer in the greater Business Development/Marketing Department. S/he will closely communicate and collaborate daily with nearly 100 diverse problem-solvers and advisers dedicated to the Firm’s broader marketing efforts. Our international business development team provides seamless service to our attorneys with a focus on quality, innovation and responsiveness.
The manager will report to the Firmwide Director of Communications/PR and will be responsible for strategizing, planning, executing and monitoring all awards and recognition opportunities to promote the Firm's practice areas and attorneys in a way that aligns with Kirkland's core messaging and values. The ideal candidate should have outstanding leadership, judgement, project management, problem solving, writing, editing and grammar skills, as well as intellectual curiosity and the ability to distill complex topics into concise, easy-to-read language.
This Firmwide position engages with all of Kirkland’s practice areas — including its highly regarded corporate, intellectual property, litigation and restructuring groups — and acts as a strategic advisor to all partners. S/he should understand how awards and recognition play into the broader PR and marketing ecosystem and will collaborate closely both with attorneys and business development teams and other internal departments to meet requirements and deadlines for projects spanning all offices. S/he will also be responsible for sharing results internally and externally.
The manager will be a hands on leader; someone who can lead a team but also dive in to get the work done. They must execute projects from concept to completion with little supervision and enforce systems, policies, procedures and standards for quality. S/he will actively contribute ideas, and execute and expand upon existing organizational tools, processes, policies and procedures, all while providing superior service to attorneys, producing quality work product, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Manage a dedicated team of two direct reports and supervise other contributors to submissions.
- Collaborate with Firm leadership to develop and execute compelling submissions and nominations that communicate the Firm's capabilities and initiatives with the objective of improving rankings and increasing visibility for Kirkland and its lawyers.
- Lead and improve the quality and standardization of submissions. Develop and communicate best practices.
- Manage all editorial calendars and proactively anticipate upcoming opportunities. Track and prioritize the Firm’s level of participation across opportunities. Evaluate new opportunities to make recommendations as to the Firm’s appropriate level of participation.
- Analyze results, historical performance and year-on-year trends. Produce regular reports highlighting recent work and achievements.
- Create internal and external communications announcing major recognitions for the Firm and its attorneys.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with editorial, research, business development staff and reporters at legal directories and media organizations.
- Serve as the point person for all recognition-related questions from attorneys and staff.
- Oversee all accolade posts on Kirkland’s external website.
- Ensure a consistent identity for the Firm’s responses to legal directories, awards programs and surveys with house style and voice.
- Oversee global responses to media surveys requesting lawyer headcount and other data.
- Manage all administrative tasks related to awards and recognitions, including budget, policies, procedures, templates and style guides.
- A minimum of seven years’ experience within professional services with proven business development or marketing experience is required. At least two years of supervisory experience where you have developed and led communications efforts and initiatives for a firm is preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or public relations is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of research and editorial processes for legal directories and media organizations, as well as experience developing and producing persuasive submissions.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing global teams to include coaching, mentoring, counseling and developing individuals to their maximum performance; and fostering a spirit of teamwork, unity and cohesiveness.
- Experience supervising work and leading large-scale projects desired.
- Knowledge of practice areas common in a global law firm is preferred.
- Must be an exceptional writer, with outstanding editing and proofing skills, as well as an excellent verbal communicator and critical thinker. Must possess an impeccable attention to detail.
- Must possess excellent organizational and project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment, both independently and collaboratively, to meet competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain positive working relationships with Firm leaders, lawyers, staff, as well as external contacts.
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to communicate to Firm leadership on overall efforts, progress and results.
- Excellent judgment and discretion in handling confidential or sensitive information is required.
- Must be flexible and able to tolerate ambiguity in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities.
- A solid command of the Associated Press style guide, grammar and journalistic writing principles, as well as an understanding of persuasive writing for marketing communications, is important.
- Must present a professional demeanor and polished image.
- A client service mindset and a sense of urgency in answering requests from attorneys, staff and external contacts.
- The candidate must have a solid command of a number of different technology applications to produce a high-end and professional work product, including a solid command of the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Position: Business Development Manager
- Firm: Banner & Witcoff, Ltd.
- Location: Chicago, IL or Washington, DC
- Date posted: July 3, 2018
- Contact: Banner & Witcoff – Careers
The Business Development Manager is responsible for supporting attorneys in their business development and marketing efforts, generating business leads and expanding client relationships. The Business Development Manager will collaborate with attorneys, marketing colleagues, and various departments across the firm.
- Work with attorneys one-on-one to increase effectiveness of business development approaches.
- Provide active operational management, support and oversight of all pitch and RFP response activities, working closely with the Marketing Director.
- Develop effective proposals and pitch presentations and track results with prompt follow-up, measurement and communication of outcomes.
- Coordinate researching and recommending new companies or industries to target.
- Manage the development of cross-selling, client retention and other business development or marketing-related education programs for attorneys.
- Track and report on business development activity and new business wins.
- Assist in the development and execution of client events and webinars.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with other internal departments and appropriate external resources.
- A bachelor’s degree and three to five years of marketing or business development experience in a law firm.
- Knowledge of intellectual property services and terminology is highly preferred.
- Experience with a multi-office firm/company is preferred.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and effectively integrate within the firm’s environment.
- Proven success leading client-focused business development initiatives.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices within business development and marketing communications processes.
- Ability to work well with multiple deadlines, innovative problem solving and prioritization skills.
- Experience with marketing information systems and use of technology-driven communication social media experience is desirable.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with appropriate level of discretion.
- Ability to travel between offices and other locations as needs dictate.
- Position: Business Development Manager – North America Employment & Compensation
- Firm: Baker McKenzie
- Location: Chicago, New York or San Francisco
- Date posted: June 13, 2018
- Contact: Baker McKenzie – Careers
The North America Compensation and Employment Law Business Development Manager is responsible for assisting the BD Team to develop and drive regional strategy to maximize client retention and growth for the NA Employment & Compensation Practice Group. Working closely with the partners, the role is an integral part of the Group’s Business Development team, focusing on business development and marketing operations, securing panel and other appointments through the submission of written proposals, maintaining marketing collateral, business planning and strategy development, client relationship management, preparing directory submissions, improving the profile of the Group, and executing the Group’s internal and external events.
- Business Development – Supports the North America Employment and Compensation Business Development Practice Group to identify business opportunities with new and existing clients.
- Proposals – Provides assistance with the development, drafting and design of proposals,
- Client Relationship Management – Conducts client research, including Firm-specific information such as billings, matters, and relevant timekeepers.
- Business Development and Marketing Collateral – Assists with the development and maintenance of marketing collateral.
- Business Planning – Responsible for tracking progress against the Group business plan.
- Directories – Responsible for content collection and preparing the Group’s submission to directories.
- Media – In collaboration with the Associate Director, North America Communications identifying relevant content for social media channels, working with attorneys to develop their own social media channels to promote the Firm and their practice, and tracking media mentions on behalf of the Group.
- Thought Leadership – Responsible for the production, distribution, and tracking of client alerts, newsletters, white papers and additional thought leadership.
- Firm Positioning and Events– Works with the local office resource(s) to execute the Group's client seminars, conferences, webinars, internal meetings, sponsorships/partnerships with outside organizations, and all other events in which Firm and Group representation and participation are necessary. Travel throughout the region is required.
- Budget Management – Monitors Group business development expenditures, develops and obtains necessary approval on all business development expenses.
- Practice Group Administration – Is responsible for the maintenance and distribution of Group email distribution lists, rosters, and the Group’s calendar. Updates intranet site with relevant material.
- Other duties as assigned to develop and drive regional strategy.
- At least five years experience in marketing/business development in a professional services environment preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or Marketing, or equivalent work experience.
- In-depth knowledge of how clients choose among lawyers and the business development process within professional services firms.
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; strong reporting skills.
- Advanced understanding of strategic market communications and issues.
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to influence others.
- Organized, detailed oriented individual with good project management skills.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Tech-savvy, with proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and PowerPoint design.
- Familiarity with internet and web-based platforms.
- High level of energy and persistence, and understanding of the importance of delivering exceptional customer service to clients.