- Position: Communications Specialist
- Firm: The Brumbaugh Group
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: March 2, 2020
- Contact: The Brumbaugh Group – Careers
The Brumbaugh Group seeks a Communications Specialist to develop and execute marketing and communications strategy for a growing list of law firm clients.
TBG is changing the way law firms think about marketing. Based in the Chicago Loop, our unique marketing infrastructure model resonates with attorneys and has put us on a tremendous growth trajectory for the coming years. Our clients range from premier boutiques to global powerhouses.
The Communications Specialist will:
- Serve as the day-to-day marketing contact for retainer and project-based clients
- Implement TBG’s marketing infrastructure model for clients, including:
- Developing thought leadership content
- Managing awards, events and client newsletters
- Handling social accounts and website updates
- Create playbooks to train clients to implement TBG’s marketing infrastructure model
- Develop relationships with key media and execute media relations strategies
- Manage key elements of client brand and website redesigns
- Participate in new business activities
The right candidate:
- Has 4-7 years of experience with some in-house law firm experience required
- Has a bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or business or related field
- Has exceptional writing and verbal communication skills
- Is entrepreneurial
- Enjoys working within our process-driven model
- Likes managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines
- Is highly focused, organized and intensely detail oriented
- Will thrive in our fast-paced culture
- Is committed to ongoing professional development
- Believes in our mission to give back through the Legal & Professional Services Council
TBG core values:
- We value growth and professional development for ourselves, our clients and the professional services marketing community.
- We are intensely detail oriented and use processes to ensure best practices are implemented consistently.
- We value the insights all of us bring, while having fun and supporting each other professionally and personally.
What you can expect of TBG:
- The chance to become involved in a fast-growing business
- The opportunity to work with a smart, committed, energetic team
- Competitive salary and benefits, including health care and 401K packages
- Tremendous growth opportunities for exceptional performers
Interested candidates should send a resume and salary requirements to Alli Ferguson at The Brumbaugh Group.
- Position: Senior Business Development Coordinator
- Firm: Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Location: Multiple Locations
- Date posted: March 1, 2020
- Contact: Michael Best – Careers
The Senior Business Development Coordinator works closely with the Marketing and Business Development Team and firm leadership to develop, coordinate and carryout marketing and business development initiatives for assigned practice groups, as well as select industry teams and offices, and drives initiatives in support of firm strategic priorities and growth plan.
- Draft and implement practice and industry team business plans including:
- Work in conjunction with group leadership and Marketing and Business Development Team to develop and carryout strategic initiatives;
- Provide group leadership regular budget and business plan updates;
- Report on marketing and business development initiatives and client opportunities during practice and industry group meetings; and
- Monitor practice and industry trends, ROI on initiatives, and provide suggestions and adjustments to go-to-market strategy.
- Serve as primary point of contact for assigned practices, offices and industry teams, field and respond to internal requests for marketing materials and new business support materials, including coordinating pitches, RFP responses, and presentations under the direction of attorneys and business development colleagues.
- Collaborate with attorneys and Events Team to develop client seminars, webinars, programs, and related activities and drive follow-up efforts to achieve positive results and calculate ROI.
- Coordinate research projects with Information & Research Services Department on clients/prospects and industries in preparation for client meetings, in response to RFPs, and generally in targeting new business opportunities.
- Coordinate the Marketing and Business Development portion of the new attorney orientation process for assigned transactional practice groups, including meeting with new attorneys to discuss the business development and marketing department, firm services, and departmental organization.
- Become familiarized with and track relevant industry organizations to uncover business development opportunities, including developing speaking and authorship opportunities with professional and trade organizations.
- Coordinate with Senior Business Development Manager, Business Development Director, and CMBDO in managing special projects in support of firm strategic growth initiatives.
- Provide general support to Business Development Team on an as-needed basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years of marketing experience
- Experience in the legal industry or professional service industry highly preferred
- Strong project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, consistently delivering high quality results with a consistent attention to detail
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills
- Professional client service manner, responsiveness, flexibility, and adaptability and demonstrated “clients first” mentality
- Flexible workstyle and ability to work both in a team, across departments, and independently
- Superior Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to take initiative and solve problems with creative solutions
- Position: Digital Marketing & CRM Specialist
- Firm: Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Location: Chicago or Milwaukee
- Date posted: March 1, 2020
- Contact: Michael Best – Careers
The Digital Marketing & CRM Specialist will work closely with the Marketing & Business Development Team and the firm’s Information Technology Team to manage the firm’s Contact Relationship Management (CRM) system, website, e-mail distribution software, and other marketing/technology-related duties.
We are seeking a candidate with demonstrated drive, dedication, and professionalism to lead the firm’s CRM database (LexisNexis’ InterAction) strategy and application. This person will be able to project manage complex CRM data cleanup and organization and oversee subsequent initiatives to drive the firm’s usage.
Additionally, as the lead web analyst, this position will be responsible for planning, implementing and managing web marketing, web analytics, content strategy planning/execution, including SEO strategy. Our online presence is extremely important for the success of our firm, and this position will play a significant role in driving our growth, branding and success.
This position requires in-depth knowledge of social media implementation; and the ability to function and communicate effectively and diplomatically, both for on-the-spot needs as well as long-term strategic initiatives. While this role is responsible for the overall success of our website and digital marketing strategy, it will not handle day-to-day updates to standing website content.
You will be an important part of our marketing team and will be required to work closely with attorneys and other department leads to accomplish our primary goal of helping attract new business, communicate to current clients about firm activities and successes.
- InterActio Responsibilities
- Work with IT Department to stay current with new advances, system enhancements
- Maintain and continue to develop best practices for firm-wide data entry standards
- Run requested InterAction reports for ongoing business development research
- Project manage data clean-up efforts with third party vendor
- Coordinate process and best practices to update firm’s existing mailing lists
- Be the lead trainer to continue to promote IA with Administrative Assistants & the MBD team; advanced third-party training will be available, as needed.
- Be a trusted advisor to members of the marketing team, helping to improve contact-related processes and initiatives on an ongoing basis to maximize use of InterAction
- Through existing expertise and ongoing learnings, recommend system and process enhancements in order to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of CRM operations
- Digital Marketing Responsibilities
- Maintain, enhance and manage firm website with third party web vendor including budgets and contracts
- Provide creative effective digital marketing ideas for events, marketing materials, internal and web communications
- Suggest improvements in process and productivity optimization with market campaigns, including invitations, client alerts, announcements
- Plan, develop and implement our SEO strategy & identify KPIs for SEO / web traffic
- Work towards organic search optimization and ROI maximization
- Regularly perform thorough keywords research
- Stay up to date with the latest SEO and digital marketing latest trends and best practices
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required
- 3 to 7 years of experience with web analytics, marketing, and business development in a law firm
- InterAction experience required
- Proficiency in CRM tools (InterAction 5.1 or higher preferred)
- Proven success in SEO & CRM maintenance
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with a talent for engaging and instructing others in the value and use of these technologies
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and perform well under pressure
- Ability to excel in a team-oriented, collaborative, and fast-paced environment
- Highly professional, personable & provides excellent customer service
- Ability to think creatively and independentl
- Position: Marketing Manager
- Firm: GLS Capital, LLC
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: February 24, 2020
- Contact: GLS – Careers
GLS Capital, LLC is a Chicago-based litigation finance firm with more than $345 million of assets under management. GLS makes investments in complex situations dependent upon legal or regulatory risk, and we work with businesses and law firms to assist them in effectively managing their litigation risk and balance sheets.
As the firm expands, we are in search of a Marketing Manager to lead the firm’s internal origination and business development function. The core responsibilities involve raising awareness of GLS among businesses and law firms via digital marketing, social media, event planning, and content creation. The position affords the opportunity to join a small, growing team of legal and finance professionals as the only marketing professional on staff.
- Lead the firm’s internal marketing and business development efforts
- Target and engage law firms, businesses and corporates to raise awareness of GLS and its products
- Work with the firm’s principals to arrange events and speaking engagements
- Maintain the firm’s CRM system
- Direct the firm’s domestic and international digital marketing and social media efforts
- Manage content creation across various platforms
- Five to ten years of experience in a business development or marketing role at a major law firm or financial institution
- Deep experience in client outreach
- Knowledge and understanding of CRM development and maintenance
- Experience in social media and website content creation
- Excellent organizational skills
- Entrepreneurial, collaborative, self-starter, creative
- Thrives in a small environment
- Position: Business Development Manager
- Firm: King & Spalding LLP
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: January 28, 2020
- Contact: King & Spalding LLP – Careers
King & Spalding seeks a driven and experienced marketing business development professional to help drive branding and business development initiatives and projects for the Chicago office and lend broader business development support on department projects. The Manager will have the opportunity to work closely with the Managing Partner of the Chicago office and the Chicago partners to help chart and drive respective business development and marketing strategies. In addition, he or she will work regularly with members of the Business Development Leadership team on ad hoc business development projects, as well as longer-term department initiatives (such as roll-outs of new technology).
- Serve as the central project manager for all Chicago lawyer-initiated BD requests including, but not limited to: pitches, proposals, award submissions, events, sponsorships, conferences, research & analysis, directory submissions, cross-sell initiatives, and more.
- Work with Associate Director of Business Development and the Managing Partner of the Chicago office to help craft and execute respective business development and marketing strategies.
- Identify cross-selling and cross-marketing opportunities for lawyers in the Chicago market with each other and others across the firm.
- Organize and support key profile-building events and initiatives for the Chicago office, working closely with participating lawyers and Marketing Department colleagues on invitation list development, event materials, participant tracking, on-site management and targeted follow-up activities.
- Continuously develop and maintain relevant office and supported specialty team website content, brochures, lawyer biographies, pitch materials, etc. so that they are consistent and up to date with firm and specialty area branding efforts.
- Facilitate client research requests and track and assess potential clients, competitors and enforcement developments broadly to identify business trends and opportunities and ensure that K&S is optimally positioned to grow market share.
- Draft marketing materials and play a coordinating role in connection with numerous pitches, RFPs and other new business opportunities.
- Serve as lead (or co-lead) BD contact for new Chicago partners integration into the broader firm.
- Maintain up-to-date repository of relevant client matters and client references, work with legal directory and league ranking submissions team on Chambers and numerous other rankings.
- Compile periodic reports on business development activity (such as pitches, proposals and events).
- Coordinate the marketing budget for the Chicago office: vet big-ticket requests and analyze marketing expenses and ROI.
- Serve as the primary contact for the Chicago office for requests from the Marketing Department’s Communications, Branding, and Events divisions and other areas of the firm.
- Support ad hoc business development projects as capacity allows including pitches, proposals, events, directories, awards, cross-sell initiatives, new technology roll-outs, etc.
- Candidates must possess the ability to take direction from multiple stakeholders and demonstrate excellent project management skills, communication skills, as well as a highly intelligent, curious, proactive, collaborative, and business-minded approach to all responsibilities.
- Candidates must be professional and able to demonstrate discretion regarding highly sensitive matters.
- Candidates must be proficient in the use of a variety of applications such as, but not limited to, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Interaction (or other CRM database).
- Candidates must also have the ability to travel to the Washington, D.C., office and other offices on occasion.
- Qualified candidates must have at least seven years of experience in a business development or marketing role within a law firm or professional services environment.
- An undergraduate degree is required.
- Position: Business Development Manager
- Firm: Reed Smith LLP
- Location: Chicago, Los Angeles or Pittsburgh
- Date posted: January 16, 2020
- Contact: Reed Smith – Careers
The Business Development Manager provides business development support and project leadership to attorneys in the Insurance Recovery Group (“IRG”) practice group, interacting with leadership, partners and associates of this practice group, and other business development and marketing resources within the Litigation Department and across the firm.
- This position will be responsible for managing and executing business development activities for IRG across the Reed Smith U.S., UK and European offices, with the assistance of colleagues based outside the U.S. and across the Reed Smith U.S. offices.
- Key to this position is ability to provide strategic evaluation of potential client development opportunities, given current market trends and firm competitive advantage, and leading each effort through completion to ensure optimal return on investment.
- The role will require strong organizational skills, initiative, excellent attention to detail and the ability to perform under pressure.
- Key to this role is to have good industry and substantive knowledge as well as experience in a professional services environment.
- This position will function as part of a growing and energetic firm wide marketing and BD team of professionals around the globe. This job specification may continue to evolve according to the needs of the team and firm.
- In addition to working with various business development and legal professionals within Litigation, this role will also include working with various marketing functions, including, but not limited to, the Branding and Public Relations teams, to develop and help implement thought leadership and campaigns to help raise the profile of IRG both internally and externally.
- Develop a working knowledge of both IRG’s services as well as an understanding of the group’s revenue priorities, clients and prospects. Develop in-depth knowledge of and act as firm resource regarding: collective and individual experience; industry/trade group organizations; legal, industry and business trends; practice-specific marketing collateral; and practice-specific media. Keep current on developments and trends in relevant industries and remain informed of all major new clients and significant matters.
- Collaborate with firm resources to prepare routine analyses of industry competition, market trends, internal financial information, business opportunities and pitch activity.
- “Think outside the box” and work with IRG Leadership, the Director of Business Development and other Business Development personnel to develop the marketing strategy and implement the strategic plans of IRG. Work with select Client Relationship Leaders and other Business Development personnel to explore potential IRG opportunities with select key clients.
- Assist IRG attorneys in identifying business development opportunities with new and existing clients and in executing individual marketing plans.
- Develop tailored pitch and proposal material for IRG opportunities. Assist central proposal team with global proposals and multi-practice pitches (being led by global proposal manager) as a subject matter expert, contributing IRG experience and practice capabilities as needed. Work closely with various legal, business development and marketing professionals to develop related presentations or material.
- Work with attorneys and other business development professionals to develop standard practice related materials (standard and customizable capability statements, practice group profiles, matter lists, case studies, bios etc.).
- Primary point of contact responsible for all IRG matter input into the experience tracking tool, including liaising with lawyers to gather details on key matters, matters that have been added or edited in bios, and all other matter information that is collected for any other purpose (directory submissions, pitches, etc.). Responsible for maintaining contacts and key information on the firm’s CRM system.
- Develops strategy for directory submissions (Chambers, Legal 500, etc.) to ensure marquee practice areas and individuals are being considered appropriately. Prepare and submit materials to applicable directories or rating organizations, with group Coordinator and other central marketing resources.
- Partner with the public relations team to ensure coverage of successful matters and initiatives in key markets and significant matters are publicized internally and externally in accordance with the firm's public relations policy.
- Coordinate the production of client alert preparation and mailing business development activities within the group and assist with agenda preparation.
- Assist IRG Leadership with onboarding and integration of lateral hires into the group.
- Collaborate with central Events Team and Regional Marketing on events, both internal and external.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Work to ensure quality professional product, as well as delivery of all work within established time frames.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field required. JD and/or MBA preferred.
- 5+ years of directly relevant experience in a marketing or business development-related position, including experience in a large law firm or professional services firm.
- Strong knowledge of disputes, appeals, class actions and arbitrations preferred.
- A strong business development and marketing acumen and basic legal substantive knowledge is required.
- Experience with the ability to influence leadership and Partners is a prerequisite.
- Strong oral and written communications skills with the ability to interact at various levels with confidence and with a customer service attitude.
- Strong computer skills including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must be highly organized with the ability to multi-task, manage workload and competing priorities and pay close attention to details.
- Must be able to think critically, present ideas and views clearly and with confidence to people at all levels, including partners and clients.
- Must be able to demonstrate initiative, be flexible and adaptable and be a good team player.
- Must have a strong focus on customer service delivery while dealing with a variety of personalities and being sensitive to cultural differences and issues.
- Position: BD and Marketing Manager – M&A and Private Equity
- Firm: Sidley Austin LLP
- Location: New York
- Date posted: December 3, 2019
- Contact: Sidley Austin – Careers
This job posting is still active as of February 11, 2020
The Business Development and Marketing Manager serves as a liaison to various transactional practices in New York including the Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity and Corporate Governance practices. S/he will work directly with the lawyers in this market to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans, and manage an aligned range of business development and marketing initiatives. Projects may include: securing panel and other appointments through the submission of written proposals/pitches; managing and assisting with the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group (including experience databases); working with local practice leaders to monitor progress against planned priorities; preparing and supervising directory submissions and improving the local profile of the practices and developing strategy for participation in or planning of major events. S/he takes an active role in learning about these and other practices and developing the groups’ and the firm’s internal knowledge about its clients and business in order to foster cross selling. S/he will report to the Senior Manager of Business Development and Marketing and will have managerial and mentoring responsibility for the Business Development and Marketing Coordinator working with the practices.
- Consults with local practice leaders and key partners on development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the practice and individual lawyers within the practices.
- Attends and contributes to local practice meetings and planning sessions.
- Tracks and analyzes practice initiatives and how those initiatives impact the practice’s budget and provides evaluation of past initiatives to determine if there is sufficient ROI to repeat those initiatives.
- Evaluates the viability and probability of the development of business prospects and cross-marketing efforts of the practices.
- Manages, develops and refines processes and procedures relating to the practice's business development "infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral; database/matter lists; contact lists; opportunity tracking; etc.). Maintains an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, deal lists, etc. are consistent, error-free, and up to date. Ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources.
- Coordinates with the Market Intelligence team to conduct industry and client research to aid in practice development initiatives.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
- Serves as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches, both for the primary practices and other groups, as necessary.
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity.
- Writes new business proposals and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/ RFPs.
- Serves as advisor in preparing and rehearsing pitch teams.
- Supports follow-up and debrief activities post-pitch and reports them back to firm leaders.
- Leads practice area's submission of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information.
- Works with Regional Marketing Programs teams to hold Sidley-sponsored and other co-hosted programs and events.
- Coordinates with Communication team on PR opportunities.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the firm in global and industry platforms.
- Participates in hiring, managing and developing junior members of their team.
- Oversees daily operations and reviews staff work.
- Manages professional development of staff goal setting, coaching and training.
- Prepares annual performance appraisals and provides timely feedback on performance.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of professional experience with at least 4 years of experience in law firms (especially in the practices listed above) and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in financial services industry or other professional services industry
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university, preferably in business or similar field
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities and take initiative to drive projects
- Exceptional organizational skills for workload
- Excellent writing, proofreading and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated PC experience required: MS Word, PPT and Excel
- M.B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus
- Experience and knowledge of the corporate legal landscape
- Supervisory, managerial and/or project management experience
- Familiarity with databases such as S&P, CapitalIQ and other resources
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- The use of good judgment and good interpersonal communication skills
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills
- Works harmoniously and effectively with others as part of a team
- A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the job
- Exercises confidentiality and discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
- Position: Marketing Manager
- Firm: Segal McCambridge
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: May 2, 2019
- Contact: Segal McCambridge – Careers
This job posting is still active as of October 17, 2019
The Marketing Manager oversees the marketing, public relations and business development activities of the firm and its individual attorneys. This position is part of the administrative team and reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Work with the Managing Shareholder and Executive Director to develop and execute the marketing, business development and communications plans for the firm and its practice groups
- Develop marketing programs for multiple channels including the firm website, social media, client and prospect communications, sponsorships and advertisements, collateral materials and media relations
- Assist in the creation and preparation of proposals and RFP responses for potential clients
- Review individual shareholder marketing plans and assist in the development of individual shareholder marketing strategies and goals
- Work with the practice groups and practice group chairs to drive consistent, client-focused marketing and communication strategies
- Assist with the writing, editing and distribution of internal and external communications, including newsletters, client alerts, articles and announcements
- Manage the firm’s social media platforms including blogs and Linkedln and coach attorneys and practice groups on best practices for social media usage
- Plan and manage marketing, networking and business development events such as seminars, CLEs, presentations for clients and potential clients to ensure these are carried out in a timely, cost-effective and professional manner
- Prepare and distribute press releases, website news items, firm news and other public-facing communications
- Create and deploy effective internal communication tools, including assisting in developing and promoting effective utilization of the firm’s intranet
- Assist in coordinating firm events and special projects as needed
- Identify and develop relationships with legal and general media within firm's regional locations and practice areas
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications or a related field
- A minimum of 7-10 years of marketing management experience